Places of interest in D.O.C. Bagnoli

Inside the D.O.C. Bagnoli zone are found numerous monuments which testify to past trials and tribulations of the area and merit a visit.



The Mingoni Palace: today it is the seat of the citizens’ council. The palace was built in 1680 by local land owners. The artists Carpioni and Cromer decorated the chapel and the principal room with frescoes in 1700.

The Agna cathedral
: the life of Giovanni Battista is narrated on the panels of the Bronze portal. The church was built in 1770. Two impressive statues of Saint Peter and Saint Paul by Antonio Bonazza grace the high altar.



The Papafave Court: belonging to the Papafava , an illustrious family drawn to Padua and a branch of the Carraresi family. The building complex formed the grand principal palace. It has many floors and a wide, central entrance hall. A short distance away but separate from the families main house, are the barns.

Villa Widmann Borletti: A baroque Venetian Villa built on the traces of the Benedictine monastery. It is now the head office of Dominio di Bagnoli. The historic cellars are open from Tuesday to Saturday. The gardens are open for visits Thursday afternoons. Tourist accommodation is available.

Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo
: built between 1662 and 1674, from an historic sixteenth century structure of which the belltower remains intact. The building has a large rectangular nave which is curved at the corners; the apse is decorated with beautifully fashioned cupids and statues by Antonio Bonazza.

Oratorio di San Daniele: a very old small church located along the road for Tribano. Constructed in 1474 it has been recently restored.


The historic centre of Battaglia Terme: situated on the slopes of the Colli Eugenie hills and crossing the raised river “Naviglio euganeo”. Due to a complete system of locks, numerous canals branch out from the river.

The town was a fascinating doorway to the hinterland, which for centuries, was the meeting point of commercial river exchanges.
The town plan represents the
typical layout for the lagoon cities, with narrow streets,
belltowers,bridges and steps.

The Cataio Castle: an imposing and extensive castle adorned
with columns and statues. Built by the Obizzi family and situated
on the hill opposite the town.


The historic city centre
: It unwinds around the principal piazza onto which seventeenth century palaces lookout. The massive containing walls of the elevated rivers contain the historic centre. The rivers link up with many diverse canals.

The Stone Cross : placed along the state road to Padua
the cross marks the communal grave where the many
victims of the plague of 1531 were buried.


The cathedral: the cathedral which adjoins the historic monastery of St Michael the Archangel is an imposing edifice in the city’s piazza. Inside it is completely covered in frescoes. The high altar, the golden tabernacle and the wooden choir extol the artistic richness of the church.
Villa Albrizzi: the villa, adjacent to the cathedral and placed perpendicularly in respect to it, is unfortunately in a state if abandonment. In the barns large cellars are found, at their side a huge fruit and vegetable preserve, which is still cultivated.
Villa Garzoni: built by Sansovino during 1536-1537 for the Garzoni family, and the only country residence    that he built. It is a large building on two floors, on a base with wide staircases. Inside the tempera décor   is the work of Francesco Galimberti, from around 1780-1790. There is a beautiful courtyard, surrounded by statues, with a well by Sansovino.


Villa Mocenigo Randi: situated at Gorgo di Cartura. The principal building dating from the end of 1400, contains vast fresco decorations, dating from the end of the sixteenth century and the beginning of the seventeenth century. The environs are surrounded by vast gardens with centuries old trees.

Casone di Gorgo (loc. Gorgo): the last surviving thatched cottage of the hundreds which studded our land. It dates from 1894. After the war the straw was replaced by more durable covering. It is found at the side of Villa Mocenigo Randi.

Sostegno Biancolino e Idrovora Madonnetta: a splendid example of hydrolic engineering found in a luxuriant corner of the country between Cartura and Pontemanco.


Conselve Vineyards and Winery: a short distance from the historic centre you will find the head office of the winery. It is a modern building with up to date equipment. The winery has been in use since the 1950’s, and has an elegant shop and a huge area containing barrels.

The historic centre:  a particularly lively town centre due to the number of locals. It unwinds around two principal piazzas surrounded by elegant buildings graced by portals and triple mullioned windows. The principal piazza is dominated by the imposing St. Lorenzo cathedral, with its high belltower.

Ca’ Sagredo: : this is found in the centre of the city. It is a
Venetian Villa in the neo classical style. Elegant, finely carved,
statues are on the top of the harmonious villa. It has been
recently restored by the accommodation groups. An elegant
Italian garden extends at the back.

Castello di San Pelagio: open for visits, inside there is an air museum. It is a place of inviting beauty which contains within the structure a succession of centuries. The pre-eminent central tower contains the original structure which was part of the Carrarese defences.

The Abbey of Santo Stefano: situated a short distance from the urban centre. It was founded in 1027. It contains mosaics from the tenth century, the mausoleum of Marsilio from Carrara and the sixteenth century Pietà in terracotta by Andrea Briosco. It is open on weekends, or by appointment .

Villa Priuli Petrobelli: Va villa built over a pre-existing nucleus of a medieval fortification belonging to the Da Carrara family. The considerable complex is today in a state of semi abandonment .

Pontemanco: a charming centre of medieval origin. At the end of the bridge are two well-ordered piazzas surrounded by very old buildings. The enormous water-mills positioned on the bridge
are characteristic for this area. The large millstones were turned
with the force of water; which was channelled inside the mill
from the locks that were positioned below .
Villa Grimani Fortini (loc. Pontemanco): a small and elegant
villa, it is adorned with flowers and roses. At the side of the villa
is the oratorio of the Annunciation, the interior of which is
covered in frescoes.

The Santa Giustina Church: of ancient origin, it arose from the foundations of a Roman church. Some parts of the pre-existing structure are still visible. Behind the high altar is the 1595 altar piece representing the baptism of Saint Giustina, by Polidoro of Porcia. The Cipriani organ dates from 1830.

Oratorio of S.S. Trinità: It is found outside the centre of Pernumia. The building predates the year 1000. The parts of the building which are visible were constructed between 1489 and 1509 by Antonio Francesco Dottori.

Villa Valmarana: An elegant nineteenth century residence in the town centre. At the side is a well ordered and tended public garden with pathways circumscribing the tall trees.

Villa Giustiniani: A Venetian Villa owned by the Giustiniani family. It is surrounded by a large park. The well-tended and splendid roses which adorn the garden are worth noting.

San Matteo Apostolo: : it is found adjacent to Villa Giustiniani. It was erected by Cardinal Paltanieri in 1275 and retains in large part, the original aspect in Roman style.

Sanctuary of Terrassa: the sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Mercy was erected in 1499, on a place where, due to divine intercession a mute child, a shepherd recovered his voice. The sanctuary is today a pilgrim site.  Of particular value are the stained glass and paintings which adorn the interior.

The historic center: a particularly lively urban centre due to a variety of locales and to numerous initiatives promoted by the council. It unwinds along the principal network of streets. In the centre are the parish church, and the surviving tower belonging to the ancient fortifications.


Iniziativa finanziata dal Programma di Sviluppo Rurale per il Veneto 2007 - 2013    -    Organismo responsabile dell'informazione: Consorzio di Tutela vini DOC Bagnoli
Autorità di gestione: Regione del Veneto - Direzione Piani e Programmi del Settore Primario